Fresh Tomato Tart
6 to 8 servings
- 2 cups shredded cheese of choice (Swiss, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, smoked Gruyere or Gouda, or Italian-Blend cheese(s) (see note)
- 2 tablespoons flour (see note)
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onion (include some green part)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted (see note)
- ½ (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (1 crust)
- About 1/4 cup finely snipped fresh basil (no stems) or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- About 1/4 cup finely snipped fresh oregano (no stems) or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 firm ripe medium tomatoes, peeled or unpeeled as desired, cored and cut into thin wedges or slices
- Salt and freshly ground black or white pepper to taste
In a small bowl, combine cheese and flour, mixing well; set aside. In a small heavy skillet, saute onion in butter for about 2 minutes, or until crisp-tender, but not browned. Prepare pie crust for baking according to package directions and fit into a 9-inch pie plate; flute edge of crust to form a standing ridge. Turn cheese-flour mixture into crust. Top with basil and oregano, mixing into cheese slightly. Spread onion mixture in a circle on top of cheese in center of tart. Arrange tomato wedges or slices over cheese, slightly overlapping, in a circular design around outer edge of tart. Sprinkle salt and pepper over tomato wedges. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (375 degrees F.) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and cheese is melted. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: If more cheese filling is desired, increase amount of cheese to 3 cups and flour to 3 tablespoons. If using smoked Gruyere or Gouda cheese, omit basil and oregano; sprinkle cheese in pie shell lightly with nutmeg to taste
Note: May omit butter; liberally coat skillet with non-caloric vegetable cooking spray.
Variation: Use 2 cups crumbled feta or feta with basil and tomatoes or garlic and herbs or other goat cheese in place of previously listed cheeses. May sprinkle top of tart with additional cheese, if desired, about 8 minutes before end of baking time. Continue to bake until cheese is melted.