Quickie Red, White, and Blue Parfaits Or Sundaes
4 to 6 servings
- 1½ to 2 cups sliced firm ripe fresh strawberries
- Few drops balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Sugar or artificial sweetener as desired
- About 2 cups vanilla ice cream or French vanilla ice cream or reduced-fat/calories vanilla ice cream or frozen vanilla yogurt or reduced-fat frozen vanilla yogurt, slightly softened
- About 2 cups strawberry ice cream or reduced-fat/calories strawberry ice cream or frozen strawberry yogurt or reduced-fat frozen strawberry yogurt, slightly softened
- 1½ to 2 cups firm ripe whole fresh blueberries, stems removed
- Flavored sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping of choice for garnish (optional)
- Coarsely crumbled oatmeal cookies or almond or coconut macaroons and/or red, white, and blue candy sprinkles for garnish
- 4 to 6 additional firm ripe whole fresh strawberries for garnish (may leave whole or slice each strawberry almost through and separate each slice into a fan design)
- Additional fresh blueberries for garnish
- 4 to 6 very very small American flags (see note)
- Coarsely mash sliced strawberries; add balsamic vinegar, if desired, and sugar or artificial sweetener to taste, mixing well.
Allow strawberries to stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes to enhance flavor. To prepare each parfait or sundae, spoon a small amount of strawberries into a parfait or sundae or large wine glass. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or yogurt; add a spoonful of blueberries. Top with a scoop of strawberry ice cream or yogurt; top with more strawberries and blueberries. Depending upon the size of the glass, may add another scoop of vanilla ice cream or yogurt; top with additional strawberries and blueberries. Repeat process for each parfait or sundae, dividing ingredients evenly. (May freeze parfaits or sundaes, if desired; allow to stand at room temperature for a few minutes before garnishing and serving.) Garnish each with sweetened flavored whipped cream or whipped topping of choice, a sprinkle of crumbled cookies and candy sprinkles, a strawberry and a few blueberries, and a very very small American flag. Serve immediately.
Note: Very very small decorative American flags can be found in craft or card shops such as Ben Franklin or Hallmark shops.