Balsamic Vinaigrette Slaw With Fresh Basil
4 to 6 servings
- 1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia or other sweet variety), peeled and chopped
- 1 medium to large carrot, peeled and chopped or shredded
- 1 small green pepper, cored, seeds removed, and chopped, or ½ each small green pepper and sweet red or yellow pepper, cored, seeds removed, and chopped
- 3 cups finely shredded or chopped green or red cabbage, or a combination
- 1/4 cup minced parsley (no stems) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons salad oil (canola, corn, safflower, or extra virgin olive oil) (see note)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (see note)
- ½ teaspoon sugar or the equivalent of ½ teaspoon sugar in granulated sugar substitute (see note)
- Salt and freshly ground black or white pepper to taste (see note)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) finely snipped fresh basil leaves (no stems)
- Crisp leaf or Boston or bibb lettuce as desired (optional)
- Sprigs of fresh basil for garnish (optional)
In a large salad bowl, combine the first 4 to 5 ingredients. In a 1-cup glass measure, combine balsamic vinegar and sugar; gradually add oil, blending well with a wire whisk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gradually pour over slaw, tossing lightly to mix. Adjust seasoning to taste; toss again, mixing gently but well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, add snipped basil, tossing slaw mixture lightly to mix. May serve slaw on individual salad plates lined with crisp leaf or Boston or bibb lettuce, if desired. Garnish each serving with a sprig of fresh basil, if desired.
Note: If more dressing is desired for the slaw, increase the dressing ingredients to 4½ tablespoons oil, 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, and 3/4 teaspoon sugar or the equivalent of 3/4 teaspoon sugar in granulated sugar substitute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.