Spiced Baked Pears With Lemon Sauce
- 4 firm ripe medium pears (Bartlett or Anjou or Bosc pears), peeled
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey or the equivalent in artificial sweetener
- 2 whole cloves
- Lemon Sauce
Cut pears in half lengthwise; remove cores and stems. Arrange pears, cut-side-up, in a glass baking dish; set aside. In a 1-cup measure, combine water, honey, and cloves; evenly pour over pears. Bake, loosely covered, in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 25 to 30 minutes or until fork tender but not mushy. Serve pears warm with Lemon Sauce. To serve, arrange 2 pear halves in each individual dessert dish; spoon sauce over each serving.
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- ½ cup water
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick, broken
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey or the equivalent in artificial sweetener or to taste
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel or to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg or to taste (optional)
In a small heavy saucepan, gradually blend cold water into corn starch, blending until mixture is smooth. Gradually blend in remaining water. Add cinnamon. Cook, stirring constantly, over moderate heat, until mixture is thickened and bubbly hot. Reduce heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. May chill, covered, in refrigerator, if desired. May serve at room temperature or chilled as desired. Remove cinnamon stick before serving. May store in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.