Italian-Style Baked Fish
4 to 6 servings
- 6 green onions, thickly sliced on-the-diagonal (include some green parts)
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, stems removed and finely snipped into tiny pieces
- 1 small zucchini, thickly sliced and each slice quartered
- 4 to 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ cup coarsely chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1 (14 ½-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1½ to 2 pounds flounder fillet(s) or other white fish fillet(s)
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper, and Italian seasoning or dried Italian herbs to taste
- Sprigs of fresh basil for garnish
Combine the first six ingredients together in a medium heavy saucepan; bring to a simmer, uncovered, over moderate heat; continue simmering for about 3 to 4 minutes (see note). Arrange fish fillets in a 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish; spoon vegetable sauce over fish. Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning or dried Italian herbs to taste. Loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 20 to 25 minutes or until fish is opaque in color and flakes easily with a fork and vegetables are crisp tender (see note). Do not overcook. Spoon vegetable sauce over each serving and garnish each with a sprig of basil.
Note: Vegetables may be micro-waved in a glass baking dish, covered loosely with plastic wrap, at HIGH power for 2 to 3 minutes and then spooned over fish for baking, or further micro-waving, or grilling on a charcoal or gas barbecue grill.
To microwave fish, arrange fillets in a glass baking dish, spoon sauce over fish, and season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning or dried Italian herbs; loosely cover with plastic wrap and microwave at HIGH power for 8 minutes. Check for doneness of fish; continue micro-waving, if needed, in increments of 30 seconds so as not to overcook fish or vegetables.
To barbecue/grill, precook vegetables as previously directed. Arrange fish fillets on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil on a grill rack at highest level of charcoal barbecue grill or gas grill; spoon sauce over fish and season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning or dried Italian herbs to taste. Charcoal should be medium hot (ash gray and glowing) and gas grill should be set at medium setting. Grill for about 15 to 20 minutes or until fish is done and vegetables are crisp tender. Serve as previously directed.