Lemony Fresh Broccoli
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- Boiling salted water
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced or coarsely chopped green onion (include some green tops)
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black or white pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded fresh lemon peel
Clean broccoli; remove the outer leaves and tough part of stalks. Cut stalks lengthwise into uniform spears. Cook broccoli spears, uncovered, in 1-inch of boiling salted water over moderate to high heat until crisp tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. For cut-up broccoli, cut off the buds and set aside. Cut remaining spears into 1-inch pieces; cook spear pieces in 1-inch boiling salted water as previously directed for 5 to 8 minutes; add reserved broccoli buds and cook 5 minutes longer. Drain well.
While broccoli is cooking, prepare butter mixture. In a small heavy saucepan, sauté green onion and celery in butter over moderate heat until tender but not browned. Stir in lemon juice and heat through. To serve, layer broccoli and butter mixture in a serving dish or individual vegetable dishes, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired and then shredded lemon peel. Serve immediately.